ABUNDANCE: America & Money
Conceived and Written by Marty Pottenger
Directed by Steve Bailey and Marty Pottenger
Original Music by Terry Dame
Obie Award-winner Marty Pottenger takes America’s economic temperature in this multi-media theater work exploring the world of money, economics, consumption and generosity. Written after three years interviewing millionaires and minimum wage workers across the United States, ABUNDANCE asks: How much do we have? and What is enough?
ABUNDANCE was performed at the following venues:
- Dance Place (Washington, DC)
- Dance Theater Workshop (New York, NY)
- DiverseWorks (Houston, TX)
- Everett Dance Theatre (Providence, RI)
- Flynn Center for the Performing Arts (Burlington, VT)
- NPN Conference (Chicago, IL) – 45 min. excerpt
- On The Boards (Seattle, WA)
- Painted Bride Art Center (Philadelphia, PA)
Marty hosted events on “The Making of ABUNDANCE” at:
- Emerson College (Boston, MA)
- Hopkins Center at Dartmouth College (Hanover, NH)
Partners & Funders
ABUNDANCE was originally commissioned and presented by The Working Theater, Art At Work, and the National Performance Network.
ABUNDANCE was co-commissioned by the following organizations:
- Dance Place (Washington, DC), a center of dance activity in Washington, DC offering performances every weekend, dance classes for adults and kids, and arts in education programs for youth.
- Dance Theater Workshop (New York, NY), one of the most influential contemporary performing arts centers and artist incubators in the United States and abroad, responsible for identifying and nurturing some of the most important dance and other performing artists of our time.
- DiverseWorks (Houston, TX), which commissions, produces, and presents new and daring art in all its forms through innovative collaborations that honor each artist’s vision without constraint. They honor freedom of expression as an essential tenet of a civil society and know that art carries an astounding promise for individual growth and insight.
- Everett (Providence, RI – formerly Everett Dance Theatre), an intergenerational, multicultural company of professional artists that creates original concert works and video productions, carries out a wide range of educational programs, and mentors new generations of young artists.
- On The Boards (Seattle, WA), investing in leading contemporary performing artists near and far, and connecting them to a diverse range of communities interested in forward-thinking art and ideas.
- The Flynn Center for the Performing Arts (Burlington, VT), a full-service home for the performing arts in the region that offers a wide range of cultural and educational experiences, and nurtures the creative development of performing artists.
- Painted Bride Art Center (Philadelphia, PA), bringing together artists, audiences and communities to push the boundaries of how we create and experience art and cultivating an environment for critical dialog and playful exchange to transform lives and communities.
- WomenArts (incorporated as The Fund for Women Artists), a 501(c)(3) non-profit arts service organization dedicated to helping women artists get the resources they need to do their creative work. Created in 1994 by Martha Richards, they raised over $4 million and created a website that has provided free networking, fundraising and advocacy services to over 500,000 visitors a year for over twenty years.
ABUNDANCE was generously supported by:
- The National Endowment for the Arts
- The Rockefeller M.A.P. Fund
- The New York State Council on the Arts
- The Threshold Foundation
- Fund for Woman Artists
- National Performance Network
- Nathan Cummings Foundation
- The Animating Democracy Initiative (sponsored by the Ford Foundation and administered by Americans for the Arts)